Tuesday, March 31, 2009

What's a Skinny Sister Got to Do with Bread?

My delightful sister and I are alike in many ways. We're both professional women with families, over-achievers, love to laugh, buy shoes and purses, fiercely independent, long to write a book and enjoy entertaining. The biggest difference between us? About 100 pounds and 10 dress sizes.

My sister is one of those women who, when dripping wet, is a size 4 -- and thinks she is fat. There's no wattle on her neck or upper arms. There's no root beer belly. No pudding thighs. No squish over or under the bra strap. And a piece of bread hasn't crossed her lips in years.

At a whopping size 6 she decided she was simply unbelievably enormous. She declared war on her weight so she could get back to a more acceptable size. (I was in one of my "skinny" phases at the time and thought she had lost her mind. She looked lovely as a size 6...a size I would have killed for. A skinny period for me is size 10-12.) She also declared war on grains and starches, and the war continues to this day.

Declaring war on grains and starches was part of my current diet plan. Hey, if it worked so well and so long for little sis, well, it was good enough for me. That was until my nutritionist blew me out of the water. He assigned, yes assigned or maybe mandated is a better word, that I eat 4 servings of grains and starches a day. I'm taking his word for it since he is the expert.

But those super skinny lovely arms of my little sis and the fact that she has not eaten bread for years and years keeps haunting me. Isn't she on to something? What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. That is sooooooooo unfair! I'm sorry. Sometimes bodies are just inexplicable in that way.

    I am married to someone like that. He is extreemely thin and yet is always trying to "get rid of a few pounds." I have to say that although I love him dearly, this drives me insane.

    ReplyDelete